Thursday, January 19, 2012

Don't forget to PUMP IRON!

Fact: Cardio burns more calories than strength training DURING.
Fact: Strength training burns more calories than cardio, AFTER the fact.



That means, if you complete 1 hour of strength training, you will burn 100 more calories in the 24 hours after working out than if you hadn't lifted. And as I'm sure many of you know, muscle burns more calories than fat.

Simply dieting and doing cardio will not help you reach the results you desire.  Muscle helps your metabolism...so that means once you reach your goal weight, as long as you eat a reasonable diet, it will be much easier to maintain than if you didn't lift weights.

This whole revelation is making me re-think my "GOAL WEIGHT".  Maybe I shouldn't put so much pressure on weighing 125.  Realistically, the only person who sees my weight is me and my doctor.  I'm going to contemplate this....maybe my first goal will be fitting into my jeans better...they feel so wonderfully snug today!

This week I started working out four times instead of three.  I've actually really started to love going to the gym on my lunch break.  During that one-hour, I don't have to think about work! It's been quite nice.  Also, because I am not putting so much focus on cardio, I don't dread going.  I was actually incredibly excited to go today....WHICH NEVER, EVER, EVER happens.  But because I knew I only had to burn 250 calories during cardio and then I was free to lift, I was excited!

If you still have more questions on the benefits of strength training, try visiting this website : http://www.livestrong.com/article/382155-does-lifting-weights-burn-fat/

No comments:

Post a Comment